Student Field Study Award
Download the 2017 CLAG Student Field Study Award Application.
Deadline March 20, 2017
The Latin America Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers invites applications for the 2017 CLAG Student Field Study Awards. Each year the Conference of Latin Americanist Geographers (CLAG) confers between two and six awards at the Ph.D. level (Bernard Nietschmann, Robert C. West, and James J. Parsons awards) and at the master’s level (Clarissa Kimber, William M. Denevan, and Oscar Horst awards) totaling from $7,500 to $10,000.
Applicants should expect awards to be around $1,000 for MA/MS applicants and around $1,500 for PhD applicants. These awards are intended to support graduate student members of CLAG in their thesis or dissertation research in Latin America or concerning the Latin American diaspora. The awards are not intended to cover all fieldwork costs, but rather to assist students working towards the Master’s or Ph.D. in their field and/or archival research in Latin America.
• Members of CLAG before the application deadline;
• Registered as a graduate (M.A., M.S., or Ph.D.) student in a geography department or related discipline;
• Regional area of research in Latin America, including the Caribbean, is given priority. If the regional area of research is outside of Latin America, a clear justification of how the study relates to dynamics in Latin America must be provided. CLAG Field Study Awards are for field and archival research, not for attendance at academic meetings;
• Recipients of previous CLAG Field Study Awards are ineligible to apply with the exception that previous winners at the Master’s level may apply for the Ph.D. level award if they are enrolled in a Ph.D. program;
• Fieldwork must be conducted during the dates in the proposal. Any proposed significant changes must be reported to the CLAG Chair;
• All awardees must provide a home address and US awardees also must supply a US social security number to the CLAG Treasurer before receiving the award (this is necessary for CLAG to comply with IRS reporting obligations.
Please direct your questions to Dr. Sarah Blue, CLAG Study Field Study Award Committee Chair.
We look forward to reviewing your innovative proposals.
View the field reports of past award recipients here, and check back to see the field reports from this year's awardees.